Monday, January 16, 2006

Line Etiquette and other Travel Faux Paus

Ok, so this is a little off topic. But since a large part of The Glamorous Life of a Consultant is travel; I thought we could discuss the issue a bit.

Why is the line to board an airplane at the gate exempt from all the rules of line etiquette? Some people (especially "very important business men") will just saunter up to the front of the line and "merge" in. How does that work? Have you ever tried that at the bank? Or at McDonalds?

Why does a person's voice level raise 25 decibels when they are talking on a cell phone? Why does it raise another 10 decibels when they are inside the airplane? And why does it raise yet another 20 decibels if they are discussing an "important business matter" that shows exactly how important they are? On a flight from Phoenix to San Jose where a "very important business man" was discussing a "secret" merger upon touchdown, I got off the plane feeling like I had just come out of a Who concert. My ears were ringing with tinitis, still are. Hey, is that somebody's phone?

Look, you KNOW you are going to have to go through security. You KNOW you are going to have to take-your-laptop-out-of-its-bag and remove-your-shoes-belt-and-any-other-metal-objects. You knew that when you booked your trip. I don't care how important/late/impatient you are; we ALL have to endure this. Don't make it more painful for the rest of us with your repeated loud sighs or blatent disgruntledness.

1 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now coming from the other side of the coin....I tried this "wait till the last moment to start for the line and then cut in" proceedure for the first time and it works pretty well. I thought I would be scolded but nothing happened.

Now I have to admit, the only thing it really did was got me onto a FULL plane a little sooner than some others and ALLOWED me to sit an extra 20 minutes on a hot plane with both front and back doors open. Wasn't much of a change from standing in a crowded terminal with many unhappy people.

Well, as a matter of record....I probably won't do it again since it is pretty much the same but different.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home